Starting with CDR version 3.6, CDR software will be available for download and installation directly from the Bosch Diagnostics website and will no longer be distributed on CD-ROM. This installation guide provides instructions on how to download, install and activate CDR software.
Computer System Requirements
CDR software will install and operate on PCs capable of running the operating systems listed below as long as those computers meet the minimum requirements specified by Microsoft®. The following operating systems are supported:
- Windows XP® (32 & 64 bit, Home and Pro for PCs)
- Windows Vista® (32 & 64 bit)
- Windows 7 and 8® (32 & 64 bit)
The PC must be equipped with a RS232 serial communications or USB port if the CDR tool will be used to retrieve EDR records from ECUs.
Required CDR Hardware
Retrieving EDR record data from supported ECUs requires CDR tool hardware. CDR hardware is available for purchase from an authorized Bosch CDR Tool re- seller or distributor.
CDR Software Subscription
The CDR software is available to anyone who is able to access the Bosch Diagnostics CDR website (http:// www.boschdiagnostics.com/testequipment/cdr/Pages/ CDRHome.aspx). A software subscription is not required to download and install the CDR software and view CDR files. However, a subscription is required for users who
wish to do more than simply view CDR files from their computer screens. All CDR software subscribers will receive an Activation Certificate in their email which must be used to fully activate all capabilities in the CDR software.
If you are not a current subscriber and wish to purchase a CDR software subscription, contact an authorized Bosch CDR tool re-seller/distributor for further information.
Download and Install CDR Software
Follow the steps below to download and install CDR software:
- Visit the Bosch CDR website at: http://www. boschdiagnostics.com/software/pages/CDR_ software.aspx
- Click on the link to the most recent CDR software listed on the website
- When prompted, save the file to your desktop or to a folder on your computer
- Unzip the saved file, run the CDRX.X_setup.exe program and follow the installation instruction prompts on the screen (note that X.X is a place holder for the CDR software version number which changes every new software release).
Once the CDR software is installed on your computer, you will have the ability to open a CDR file and view it on your computer screen. If you are a current CDR software subscriber and you were emailed an Activation Certificate, follow the Activation instructions in the next section to enable all CDR software capabilities which are available to subscribers.
￼Software Installation Guide
Uninstalling 3.0 or Earlier Software Versions
If you are updating CDR software from version 3.0 or earlier, the installation program will prompt you to uninstall these versions of software before installing the new version. Follow the prompts on the screen when asked to do so. If you do not uninstall versions 3.0 or earlier, you will not be able to install this new version. If you already have version 3.1 or later installed on your computer, the installation program will run without uninstalling previous versions.
Activate Your CDR Software (subscribers only)
If you are a current CDR software subscriber and you have an Activation Certificate which was emailed to you from BoschLicenses@us.bosch.com, follow the instructions below to activate your CDR software:
- Save the Activation Certificate you received by email to your desktop or to a folder on your computer.
- ￼Start the CDR software program.
- Click on the Activate button located on the CDR application toolbar.
- ￼From the browser window that opens after clicking the Activate button, browse to the location of the Activation Certificate.
- Select the Activation Certificate for the version of CDR software you are currently running and follow the prompts on the screen.
IMPORTANT: Activation Certificates are created for each new version of CDR software; therefore, when activating your CDR software, you will need to choose the Activation Certificate for the version of software you are activating. The filename of the certificate includes the version number it was created to activate (see example filename).
Once your CDR software is activated, the Activation toolbar button will no longer be visible and you now have access to all CDR functions available to subscribers. Refer to the Getting Started section of the CDR help for further software setup instructions and operation of the CDR tool.
USB to Serial Adapter Software
Use the USB to Serial Adapter which was provided in your CDR hardware kit if you have a PC equipped with a USB port and not an RS232 serial communications port. These ports are needed only if you plan to image EDR records from vehicle ECUs.
To utilize the USB to Serial Adapter, you must first install the adapter software if you have not done so already. The adapter software can be installed from the CD-ROM which was provided with the adapter or can be downloaded and installed from the internet. For Windows Vista, 7 and 8 PCs, Bosch recommends that you download and install the software from the internet.
Installing USB to Serial Adapter software from the CD- ROM provided with the adapter
- Make sure your USB to Serial Adapter is NOT plugged into your computer.
- Insert the CD-ROM into your computer’s disk drive and follow the prompts on the screen once the installation program launches automatically.
If program does not launch automatically, run the setup. exe program from the CD-ROM and follow the prompts on the screen.
- Plug your USB to Serial Adapter into a USB port and verify the adapter was recognized by your PC as a “Prolific” USB device.
Downloading and Installing the USB to Serial Adapter software from the Internet
If you need to obtain the USB to Serial Adapter software from the internet, refer to the section of the CDR help file named Installing USB to Serial Adapter Software located in the Technical and Sales Support topic heading.
Software Compatibility with the CDR Interface Module
This software version is compatible only with the blue and green metal CDR interface module marked with a CAN plus logo on its label. Other versions of the CDR module (black plastic or blue units without the CAN plus logo) are not supported and can cause the software not to function as intended. To purchase a current CDR Interface Module, please contact an authorized Bosch CDR Tool re-seller/ distributor.
Bosch Technical Support
Telephone: +1 (855) 267-2483
Fax: +1 (800) 955-8329
Crash Data Group
Telephone: +1 (800) 280-7940 (US and Canada)