Submitted by admin on
Test an entire heavy-duty system in 15 minutes, including exhaust after-treatment with Bosch HPT 500
- The HPT 500 has saved 43-120 minutes per vehicle in preventative maintenance and repair.
- With an average payoff return on investment in just 4.63 weeks.
- The high pressure leak tester provides a cost-effective, safe alternative that will change standard practices for heavy duty preventive maintenance and repair.
Technicians have been struggling with conducting safe and efficient diesel particulate filter (DPF) maintenance and repairs on heavy-duty fleets since the 1950s. DPF challenges have only become more complex with the release of the most recent clean air mandates. Heavy duty technicians have been fixing diesel faults in a couple of inefficient and risky behaviors. These include:
- Pressurizing a system by starting the engine, sliding under the running truck, and spraying soapy water to look for bubbles that indicate a leak point.
- Using an ultrasonic listening device
Not only are these methods imprecise, dangerous and costly, but it’s near impossible to reach many components in modern trucks to see the soap bubbles if they appear and it can take many tries to locate a leak.
Time consuming, dirty, and imprecise, the outdated standard practice of locating upstream component faults with soapy water or a supersonic listening device often results in trucks spending unnecessary days in the repair facility, out of service. However, the release of a new technology has proven to be an efficient solution to this complex problem. Manufactured by Bosch and engineered by Redline Detection, the HPT 500 uses regular compressed air to reach and maintain a variable pressure of 2 to 20 psi throughout the vehicle’s intake and exhaust system. Patented, durable expanding block off adaptors fit any size and shape orifice to cleanly seal off intake and exhaust. Compressed air is injected into the system, followed by a visual vapor, which replicates the boost load of the running engine, with the engine safely off; many upstream component leaks only appear under boost. The dense, highly visible vapor flows throughout the truck’s hoses, tubes and related components and escapes anywhere there is a leak. As the visible vapor flows through the pressurized system, within minutes it indicates all faults that are present throughout the entire system, making it easy to see precisely where the problems are, with 100% accuracy and reliability.
Bosch's High Pressure Leak Tester
The HPT 500 is the only diagnostic machine in the heavy duty market that can, in a single 10-minute procedure, reliably detect high-pressure and low pressure upstream faults, pinpoint exact locations and precisely identify failing components. The technology is being used in the following applications:
- Preventive maintenance to locate faults before they trigger excessive forced regens or a de-rate
- Test the integrity of the air intake and exhaust system at once, as the vehicle came in, without disturbing components to perform test
- Use for fast triage diagnostics when vehicles came in “on the hook”
- Determine if unfiltered air is entering engine (prevent engine dusting)
- Quickly determine if delta pressure switch tubes are clear
- DPF Protection – not plugging filter due to unresolved upstream leaks (exhaust bellows, v clamps, exhaust manifold flanges, cracked tubing, compressed air charge leaks)
- Diagnosis of all CAC leaks
- Used to prevent the uninstall of a leaky tube or component to test CAC then re-install of the leak
- EGR cooler diagnostics, determine if internal coolant or exhaust gaskets are leaking
- Determine engine performance variables / confirm clamps on charge air system are correct
- Used to find SCR leaks and prevent DEF crystallization
- Locate crank case oil leaks quickly w/o washing engine first
- Determine if crank case filter is plugged
- Locate point of water intrusion in the cab
- Locate point of potentially dangerous carbon monoxide cab leaks
- Validate repairs are completed and systems are sealed before returning vehicle to customer preventing comebacks
Visit the HPT 500 product page to learn more.